When you’re traveling, your HERE mobile app can do more than help you find your way. It gets you there from end-to-end via car, public transit or foot, and includes information about restaurants hotels and points of interest. To enhance your journey in a different way, these apps cover supplementary aspects of exploring.
1. Kayak: Find all you need in one place — hotels, flights, cars or put them all together in a package. Kayak helps you compares hundreds of travels sites. Set price alerts to get notified when fares change.
2. Last minute travel: If you are a procrastinator or simply like an adventure, you may want to try “lmt.” Some of the offers must be bought sight unseen, but TripAdvisor gives ratings of others.
3. PackPoint: Tell this app where you are going what you are doing and it will create a customer packing list for you. The premium addition can be connected to TripIt which helps you create a master itinerary.
4. Instagram & Layout: Document everything you see with images and video; share on all your social channels so family and friends can keep up. Or send as a private message. The Layout app gives you additional artistic control for special effects and arranging images.
5. Skype: Communication, without roaming (in app to app contact) – need we say more?
6. The Weather Channel: Plan where to go and what to wear anywhere in the world with hour-by-hour forecasts, highs and lows, humidity. Be prepared with emergency alerts.
7. iTranslate: Don’t let the first letter fool you, this app is available for iOS, Android and Windows and features 90 languages, voice input and output, contextualization, Romanization and social share.
8. Musement: Your travel arrangements are made; you are properly packed, but what will you do when you get there? Musement “carefully curates” experiences so you can find and book activities, tours, tickets to museums and attractions, city passes and more around the world.
9. Loungebuddy: There are a few aspects of a trip you cannot control — delays, cancellations or missed connections. For these you may need a drink, or at least a private place to relax or work while you wait. Airport lounges are not just for high rollers, this app helps you find one of the hundreds where a one-time fee provides access.
10. Eat 24: Drifting in the US and there’s no place to eat in your hotel? Search 20,000 restaurant menus in more than 1,500 cities, order on the app and have your meal delivered.
11. AppBox (iOS)/Army Knife (Android) /Swiss Army Knife (Windows): Many apps in one…depending on your OS these apps may include: mirror, flashlight, currency convertor, tip calculator, compass, measurement convertor and more.
By the way, if you need a gift for your favorite traveler this holiday season, Sandi and Rick at MidlifeRoadTrip put together these great suggestions for you.